DISTANT EDUCATION IN DENTISTRY: ORGANIZATION AND ECONOMIC EFFECTIVENESS
1Central Research Institute of Information and Health Organization, Moscow, Russia
2Belgorod State National Research University, Belgorod, Russia
3Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Objective: Study of the possibilities of applying distant education technologies within the framework of the model of short-term (18-36-hour) advanced training courses in additional professional programs.
Methods: As an example of the proposed model, the distant course «Burning questions of dentistry» was organized by medical universities – the Moscow State Medical-Stomatological University named after A.I. Evdokimov, Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy, and Belgorod State National Research University. Questioning on the attitude of doctors to the application of distant education technologies was conducted among 138 dentists. Economic efficiency is calculated by the technique of E.N. Kulagina and I.I. Vvedenskaya, 1998.
Results: The subjects of video lectures were agreed between the parties and included a wide range of questions on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of dental diseases. The text of lectures was accompanied by slides, which were demonstrated synchronously with the text of the lecture. At the end of the video lecture, the lecturer was asked questions from students for 10-15 minutes. In order to identify the possibility of reducing the economic costs of continuing professional education of physicians while maintaining a high quality of education, a comparative analysis of full-time, away and distant courses was conducted. The difference in the total cost of the courses depends on the travel expenses of studies in the full-time cycle, the teachers – in the tour cycle and the costs of equipment depreciation and payment for communication services – in the remote cycle. The costs of distant education directly depend on the number of students. Readiness for distant forms of education was expressed mainly by doctors who have experience in using informative communication technologies in their work and everyday life. The conducted sociological surveys revealed a preference for the use of tele-education technologies over the needs in teleconsultations.
Conclusions: The main advantage of the short-term courses is the ability to quickly learn the latest technologies and methods of diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and rehabilitation. The use of distant education technologies significantly reduces the cost of courses and allows organizing training on flexible schedule. Distant courses are highly informative and not inferior to traditional forms of education. The program of the course can use any telemedicine technologies and forms of organization of studies (video lectures, webinars, scientific and practical conferences, etc.). The questionnaire showed a predominantly positive attitude of doctors towards the use of distant education technologies.
Keywords: Continuous medical education, distant educational technologies, dentistry, additional professional programs.
- Pronina EN, Levanov VM. Voprosy pravovogo regulirovaniya distantsionnogo obrazovaniya v meditsinskikh vuzakh [Issues of legal regulation of distance education in medical universities]. Meditsinskoe pravo. 2014;3:52-6.
- Agranovich NV, Hodzhayan AB. Vozmozhnosti i effektivnost’ distantsionnogo obucheniya v meditsine [Possibilities and effectiveness of distance learning in medicine]. Fundamental’nye issledovaniya. 2012;3:545-7.
- Agafonov BV, Dyachenko TYu, Molochkov AV, Rudenko MV. Kontseptsiya primeneniya informatsionno-kommunikatsionnykh tekhnologiy v nepreryvnom professional’nom usovershenstvovanii vrachey [The concept of applying information and communication technologies in the continuous professional improvement of doctors]. Vestnik poslediplomnogo meditsinskogo obrazovaniya. 2011;2:7-10.
- Prikaz Minzdrava Rossii ot 11.11.2013 g. №837 «Ob utverzhdenii Polozheniya o modeli otrabotki osnovnykh printsipov nepreryvnogo meditsinskogo obrazovaniya spetsialistov s vysshim meditsinskim obrazovaniem v organizatsiyakh, osushchestvlyayushchikh obrazovatel’nuyu deyatel’nost’, nakhodyashchikhsya v vedenii Ministerstva zdravookhraneniya Rossiyskoy Federatsii, s uchastiem meditsinskikh professional’nykh nekommercheskikh organizatsiy (s izmeneniyami na 9.06.2015 g.)» [On approval of the Regulation on the model of working out the basic principles of continuous medical education of specialists with higher medical education in organizations engaged in educational activities under the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, with the participation of medical professional non-profit Organizations (with changes as of June 9, 2015)]. [Elektronnyy resurs]. URL: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/499072081. Data otkrytiya: 15.02.2017.
- Prikaz Minzdrava Rossii ot 07.10.2015 g. №700n «O nomenklature spetsial’nostey spetsialistov, imeyushchikh vysshee meditsinskoe i farmatsevticheskoe obrazovanie» [On the nomenclature of specialties of specialists with higher medical and pharmaceutical education]. [Elektronnyy resurs]. URL: http://pravo-med.ru/legislation/fz/12585/. Data otkrytiya: 15.02.2017.
- Starodubov VI, Kalininskaya AA, Dzugaev KG. Meditsinskie kadry v stomatologii [Medical staff in dentistry]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 2006. 256 p.
- Boyko VV. Problemy vnedreniya novykh tekhnologiy [Problems of introduction of new technologies]. Institut stomatologii. 2014;65(4):24-5.
- Kalinovskiy DK, Alekseev SB, Khakheleva TN. Planirovanie rekonstruktivnovosstanovitel’nykh operatsiy v chelyustno-litsevoy oblasti s ispol’zovaniem sovremennykh metodov luchevoy diagnostiki, komp’yuternykh tekhnologiy i telemeditsiny [Planning of reconstructive operations in the maxillofacial area with the use of modern methods of radiation diagnostics, computer technologies and telemedicine]. Travma. 2006;7(3-4):51-6.
- Bogomolov BP, Solovyova AM, Sorokina AA. Sovremennaya obrazovatel’naya tekhnologiya dlya obucheniya vrachey po infektsionnoy stomatologii [Modern educational technology for training doctors in infectious dentistry]. Kremlyovskaya meditsina. Klinicheskiy vestnik. 2014;1:81-3.
- Muzychina AA, Agafonova GYu, Bugorkova IA, Aleksandrov EI. Distantsionnaya forma obucheniya pri podgotovke vrachey-internov stomatologov [Remote form of education for training internship doctors in dentistry]. Medikosotsial’nye problemy sem’i. 2012;17(3-4):142-3.
- Trofimets EK, Surzhanskiy SK, Azarov AV. Distantsionnoe obrazovanie v sisteme poslediplomnoy podgotovki vracha-stomatologa v usloviyakh reformirovaniya byudzhetnoy stomatologii [Remote education in postgraduate training of dentist in terms of budgetary dentistry reformation]. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov Sworld. 2010;23(4):37-9.
- Vladzimirskiy AV. Vozmozhnosti telemeditsinskikh tekhnologiy v stomatologii [Capability of telemedicine technologies in dentistry]. Zamestitel’ glavnogo vracha. 2016;119(4):88-94.
- Cook J. ISDN video conferencing in postgraduate dental education and orthodontic diagnosis. Learning Technology in Medical Education Conference 1997 (CTI Medicine). 1997:111-6.
- Kulagina EN, Vvedenskaya II. Mnogovariantnost’ kriteriev ekonomicheskoy effektivnosti v zdravookhranenii [Multi-variant criteria of economic efficiency in health care]. Zdravookhranenie Rossiyskoy Federatsii. 1998;5:36.
- Galichev DA, Goldobina PV, Panchenko MN, Tarakanova VA. MGMSU - NizhGMA: istoriya sotrudnichestva v oblasti telemeditsiny i stomatologii [MGMSU - NizhGMA: history of cooperation in the field of telemedicine and dentistry]. Materialy VII Vserossiyskoy konferentsii «Istoriya stomatologii». Moscow, RF: MGMSU; 2012. p. 29-31.
- Levanov VM, Kamaev IA, Tsybusov SN, Nikonov AYu. Formirovanie elektronnoy informtsionno-obrazovatel’noy sredy nepreryvnogo meditsinskogo obrazovaniya [Formation of the electronic information and educational environment of continuous medical education]. Nizhniy Novgorod, RF: Izd-vo NizhGMA; 2016. 310 p.
Kalininskaya Aleftina Aleksandrovna, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Academician of RANS, Head of the Department of the Organization of Treatment and Medio-prophylactic, Central Research Institute of Information and Health Organization
Morozova Yana Viktorovna, Assistant of the Department of General Practice Dentistry, Belgorod State National Research University
Levanov Vladimir Mikhaylovich, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor of the Department of Social Medicine and Health Care Organization of the Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy
Address for correspondence:
Kalininskaya Aleftina Aleksandrovna
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Academician of RANS, Head of the Department of the Organization of Treatment and Medio-prophylactic, Central Research Institute of Information and Health Organization
127254, Russia, Moscow, st. Dobrolyubova, 11, apt 508
Tel.: (+7) 495 618 4388 (add. 508)
Materials on the topic:
- PSYCHOLOGICAL AND PEDAGOGICAL ASPECTS OF TEACHING BASIC MODULE «CARE FOR SURGICAL PATIENTS» TO STUDENTS OF THE FIRST COURSE OF THE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
- THE EFFECTIVENESS OF SIMULATION TRAINING ON BASIC RESUSCITATION MEASURES IN SKILLS TRAINING CENTER OF AVICENNA TAJIK STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
- APPLIANCE OF MODERN INFORMATIVE TECHNOLOGIES IN MEDICAL POSTGRADUATE EDUCATIONAL PROCESS