INFLUENCE OF ADENOTOMY ON THE COURSE OF THE INFLAMMATORY PROCESS IN THE MAXILLARY SINUSES
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Objective: To determine the influence of adenotomy on the course of the inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses in children.
Methods: During the three-year period, examined 162 patients with the chronic inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses. Hypertrophy of the tonsils (nasopharyngeal, palatine), chronic tonsillitis was observed in these patients. All patients underwent general clinical, otorhinolaryngological, and radiological methods of investigation. The effectiveness of the treatment was evaluated clinically immediately after a week and after three months.
Results: After surgical treatment, the condition of the children improved, they were discharged in a satisfactory condition. After three months, 87.7% of the patients underwent a full recovery: the suppuration from the nose stopped, nasal breathing was restored, and headaches stopped. In 3.7%, despite the treatment, catarrhal rhinitis periodically occurred, the radiological process in the sinuses was absent. And in 8.6% of the improvement of the condition was not observed either clinically or radiographically, that, apparently, was due to the reduction of the immune forces of the body. After these surgical procedures, puncture and catheterization of the maxillary sinus and daily rinsing were carried out to these patients, which contributed to the subsequent stable remission.
Conclusions: Changes in the maxillary cavities in children suffering from adenoid tumours occur quite often. The timely removal of adenoid cavities is of great prophylactic value since it prevents the development of the inflammatory process in the maxillary cavities. If the adenotomy does not give effect, the puncture of a maxillary sinus with the subsequent conservative treatment is necessary. If this does not lead to recovery, then the operation on the maxillary sinus is indicated.
Keywords: Adenoids, Waldeyer’s tonsillar ring, antritis.
- Bykova VP, Piskunova GZ. Mindaliny i adenoidy [Tonzills and adenoids]. Rossiyskaya rinologiya. 2000;1:43-5.
- Palchun VT, Mikhaylova LM, Gurov AV, Muzhichkova AV. Osobennosti formirovaniya khronicheskogo vospaleniya v verkhnechelyustnoy pazukhe [Features of the formation of chronic inflammation in the maxillary sinus]. Vestnik otorinolaringologii. 2011;2:5-7.
- Kryukov AI, Klimenko KE, Shemyakin SO, Fedotkina KM. Mezhdistsiplinarnyy podkhod v lechenii khronicheskogo odontogennogo verkhnechelyustnogo sinusita [Interdisciplinary approach in the treatment of chronic odontogenic maxillary sinusitis]. Rossiyskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2016;3:186-7.
- Puzhaev SI. Densitometriya rentgenovskogo izobrazheniya v diagnostike paranazal’nykh sinusitov [Densitometry of the X-ray image in the diagnosis of paranasal sinusitis]. Rossiyskaya rinologiya. 2015;1:114-8.
- Klimova II, Aristova-Borovikova OV. Faktory riska i osobennosti rinosinusita v sochetanii s patologiey glotochnoy mindaliny u detey [Risk factors and features of rhinosinusitis with concomitant pathology of pharyngeal gland in children]. Rossiyskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2016;6:61-5.
- Yunusov AS, Rybalkin SV. Taktika khirurgicheskogo lecheniya khronicheskogo rinosinusita v detskom vozraste [Tactics of surgical treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis in childhood]. Rossiyskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2008;2:174-7.
- Feldt B. Acute sinusitis. South Med J. 2013;106(10):577-81.
- Sirak SV, Slyotov AA, Loktionova MV, Loktionov VV, Sokolova EV. Diagnostika, lechenie i profilaktika verkhnechelyustnogo sinusita, voznikayushchego posle endodonticheskikh vmeshatel’stv [Diagnosis, treatment and prevention of maxillary sinusitis arising after endodontic interventions]. Paradontologiya. 2008;3:14-8.
- Bykova VP. Novye argumenty v podderzhku organosokhranyayushchego napravleniya pri lechenii adenoidov u detey [New arguments in support of organ-preserving direction in the treatment of adenoids in children]. Detskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2013;2:18-22.
- Bizunkova AB, Medvedev MN. Khronicheskiy adenoidit i otdalyonnye resul’taty adenotomii [Chronic adenoiditis and long-term results of adenotomy]. Rossiyskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2008;2:12-7.
- Marochko SP, Chaukina VA, Kisalev AB. Vozmozhnosti konservativnogo lecheniya khronicheskogo adenoidita u detey s respiratornym allergozom [Possibilities of conservative treatment of chronic adenoiditis in children with respiratory allergosis]. Rossiyskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2008;2:82-7.
- Shcheglov AN, Kozlov VS. Endoskopicheskaya khirurgiya verkhnechelyustnykh pazukh cherez minidostup [Endoscopic surgery of the maxillary sinuses through the mini-access]. Rossiyskaya rinologiya. 2009;2:305-7.
- Pochinina NK, Fedin AV. Osobennosti kliniki i lecheniya sinusitov, protekayushchikh na fone infektsionnoy allergii [Features of the clinic and the treatment of sinusitis, taking place against the background of infectious allergies]. Rossiyskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2008;3:315-7.
- Luchikhin LA, Magomedov MM, Adrianova MV. Kompleks «Dolphin» v lechenii vospalitel’nykh zabolevaniy nosa i ONP [Complex «Dolphin» in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the nose and ONP]. Rossiyskaya otorinolaringologiya. 2007; Pril.:317-21.
- Ashurov GG, Ismoilov AA, Karimov BM. Effektivnost’ lecheniya khronicheskogo parodontita u bol’nykh s mezhsistemnym narusheniem [Efficiency of chronic paradontitis treatment in patients with inter-systemic impairment]. Nauchno-prakticheskiy zhurnal TIPPMK. 2014;1:6-9.
- Ikromov MK, Davlatov DSh, Nazirmadova MB, Abdukhalilov AA. Otsenka effektivnosti endoskopicheskoy sinusotomii pri khronicheskikh polipoznykh rinosinusitakh po dannym LOR kliniki GU «Natsional’nyy meditsinskiy tsentr» RT. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2017;19(1):63-7. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.25005/2074-0581-2017-19-1-63-67.
Shamsidinov Bobonazar Nasridinovich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
Mukhtorova Parvina Rakhmatovna, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Assistant of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
Shaydoev Sukhrob Safaralievich, Senior Laboratory Assistant, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
Olimov Todzhidin Kholovich, Assistant of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
Begov Abdurasul Avzalovich, Assistant of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
Tagoymurodova Shifo Fayzovna, Laboratory Assistant, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
Address for correspondence:
Shamsidinov Bobonazar Nasridinovich
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
734026, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Somoni Ave., 59/1
Tel.: +992 (917) 441744