CLINICAL AND X-RAY INDICES OF PERIODONTAL AND PERIAPICAL TISSUES OF ENDONTICAL HEALED TOOTH IN PATIENTS WITH ENDODONTO-PERIODONTAL COMPLICATIONS
1Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
2Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Objective: Explore the clinical and X-ray indicators of periodontal and periapical tissue lesions in patients with combined endodontic-periodontal pathology.
Methods: The results of endocanal treatment of 65 teeth with 82 foci of periapical destruction in the form of bone resorption, periodontal slit expansion, and inflammation of marginal-alveolar gum are presented in 78 patients with combined endodontic-periodontal pathology between the ages of 20 and 50 years and older. Depending on the diameter of the periapical resorption and the severity of the inflammatory process in periodontal tissues, the patients were divided into three groups: the group I – 45 patients who were found to be foci of periapical destruction with a diameter of 1 to 3 mm, and diagnosed a mild course of endodontic-periodontal pathology of a combined nature; II group – 19 patients with bone hotspots resorptions of periapical arrangement with a diameter of 3 to 5 mm and the presence of combined endodontic-periodontal pathology of moderate severity. Patients of group I and II received a combination of complete endodontic treatment with antioxidants, calcium containing and antimicrobial drugs as well as professional oral hygiene. 14 patients with foci of periapical destruction with a diameter of 1 to 5 mm and the presence of periodontal pathology of different severity of stages included into group III. These patients received complete endodontic treatment only.
Results: A reliable decrease in the size of the foci near the upper grade of resorption in patients of the first group occurred 12 months after endodontic treatment. With full endodontic treatment, the area of the focal point of destruction in the periapical tissues decreased by 4.8 times, and the restoration of bone tissue in the form of a reduction in the area of resorption 60.0±3.5% of cases. Periodontological index was significantly reduced, which indicates a decrease in inflammatory phenomena in periodontal tissues.
Conclusions: After high-quality endodontic treatment, a reliable decrease in the diameter of the resorption focus and an increase in the rate of periapical reparative processes were found. During the 12 months of observation, the complete restoration of bone tissue in the periapical area with focal points of destruction from 1 to 2 mm was noted in 67.3% of cases, in the diameter of the foci 3-4 mm – in 37.6% of observations, and in the case of 5 mm – in 25.3% of cases.
Keywords: Endodontic, periodontic, resorption, periapical focus, endodontic-periodontal pathology, endodontic treatment.
- Abbot P. Endodontic management of combined endodonticperiodontal lesions. J N Z Soc Periodontol. 2013;83:15-28.
- Zehnder M, Paque F, Gold S. Paro-endo lesion; atiologie, diagnostik und therapievorschlage – eine literaturubersicht. Endodontie. 2014;13:133-46.
- Gunter S. Endo perio lesions: background and case reports. Dental IQ: Intern Endodont J. 2015;2:66-73.
- Harrington GW, Steiner DR. Periodontal-endodontic considerations. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB. Saunders Co; 2012. p. 466-84.
- Meng HX. Periodontic-endodontic lesions. Ann Periodontol. 2009;4:84-90.
- Galeeva ZR. Morfofunktsional’nye i etiopatogeneticheskie svyazi pri patologii endodonta i parodonta [Morpho-functional and etio-pathogenetic relationship under pathology of endodont and parodont]. Endodontiya today. 2012;2:3-7.
- Belk CE., Gutmann JL. Perspective, controversies and directives on pulpal-periodontal relationship. J Canad Dent Assoc. 2009;56:1013-7.
- Eriksen HM. Endodontology-epidemiological-considerations. Endod Dent Traumatol. 2013;7:189-95.
- Maksimova OP. Dve storony endodontii [Two sides of endodonty]. Klinicheskaya stomatologiya. 2012;1:32-4.
- Guldener PH. The relationship between periodontal and pulpal disease. Inter Endod J . 2008;18:41-54.
- Kerns DG, Cohen S, Hargreaves KM. Endodontic and periodontal interrelationships. Cohen’s pathways of the pulp. 10th ed. St. Louis, USA: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. 187 p.
- Rotstein I, Simon JH. Diagnosis, prognosis and decision-making in the treatment of combined periodontal-endodontic lesions. J Periodontol. 2014;34:165-73.
- Eriksen HM. Epidemiology of apical periodontitis. In: Ørstavik D, Pitt Ford T. (eds.) Essential endodontology: prevention and treatment of apical periodontitis. London, UK: Blackwell Munksgaard; 2008. p. 262-74.
- Kerns DG, Glickman GN. Endodontic and periodontal interrelationships. In: Cohen S, Hargreaves KM. (eds.) Pathways of the pulp, 9th ed. St. Louis, USA: Mosby Inc.; 2011. p. 650-67.
- Rotstein I, Simon JH. The endo-perio lesion: a critical appraisal of the disease condition. Endodontic Topics. 2016;13:34-46.
- Gilmiyarov EM, Tlustenko VP. Differentsial’no-diagnosticheskie priznaki sochetannykh porazheniy periapikal’nikh tkaney [Differential-diagnostic signs of the combined defeats of periapically tissues]. Stomatologiya. 2013;1:17- 20
- Trabert KC, Kang MK. Diagnosis and management of endodontic-periodontic lesions. 11th ed. St. Louis, USA: Saunders by Elsevier; 2012. 312 p.
Ashurov Gayur Gafurovich
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Head of the Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5361-1725 Researcher ID: C-5173-2019
Mukhidinov Shamsiddin Davlatalevich
Applicant, Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5361-1725 Researcher ID: C-5173-2019
Tagaeva Shakhlo Olimovna
Postgraduate Student, Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5361-1724 Researcher ID: C-5173-2019
Ismoilov Abdurakhim Abdulatifovich
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5361-1725 Researcher ID: C-5173-2019
Karimov Safarakhmad Munavarovich
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5361-1725 Researcher ID: C-5173-2019
Address for correspondence:
Karimov Safarakhmad Munavarovich
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of Therapeutic Dentistry, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
734026, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Somoni Ave., 59
Tel.: +992 (918) 616208
Materials on the topic:
- EFFICIENCY OF THE APPLICATION OF «STIMUL-OSS» OSTEOPLASTIC MATERIAL IN COMBINATION WITH PLATELET-RICH PLASMA FOR THE EXTRACTION OF THE RETAINED AND DYSTOPIC MANDIBULAR THIRD MOLAR
- ELIMINATION OF MANDIBULAR DEFECTS BY ENDOPROSTHESIS CREATED BY TECHNOLOGY OF ADDITIVE STEREOLITHOGRAPHY
- THE STUDY OF THE DEFECTS OF THE DENTITION PREVALENCE IN THE PLANNING OF ORTHOPEDIC DENTAL HEALTH SERVICE
- APPLICATION OF SORPTION TECHNOLOGIES IN COMPLEX TREATMENT OF PURULENT-INFLAMMATORY DISEASES OF THE MAXILLOFACIAL AREA