RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY OF COMBINED INJURIES OF THE UPPER LIMBS
1Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
2Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
3Department of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Objective: Improving the results of surgical correction of combined injuries of the upper limbs.
Methods: The results of surgical treatment of 58 patients analyzed (37 men and 21 women) with combined bone and vascular lesions of the upper limbs between the ages of 4 and 67 years. The etiological factors of damages were: cutting wounds (30), transcondular fractures (17), anterior forearm dislocation (5), and gunshot wounds (6). Damage of the median nerve by the sharp edges of the bone fragments was observed in 2, traction of the nerve with axonotmesis – in 3 victims. The circular suture of the brachial artery (11) was performed with a diastasis of no more than 3 cm; in case of diastase more than 3 cm, autovenous vascular plasty (13) was performed; when the brachial artery bifurcation was damaged, an autovenous shunting was performed (5). In case of simultaneous damage to the radial and ulnar arteries, in 16 cases the suture (9) and autovenous plasty (7) were performed; with isolated injuries to the radial (8) and ulnar (5) arteries, a circular suture was used.
Results: In the immediate postoperative period, thrombosis of the restored arteries observed in 4 patients (6.8%). In the long-term period, when studying the degree of blood circulation of an extremity on the basis of Duplex scan in 46 patients, only in one observation did the ulnar artery thrombosis take place, the remaining vessels were passable. The degree of regeneration of the restored nerve trunks was estimated according to the electroneuromyography data: during axonotmesis, all types of sensitivity recovered within 6 months. A positive discrimination test S1–S2 observed 1.5 years after the epineural suture of the median nerve.
Conclusions: Timely diagnosis and the provision of adequate specialized care for bone and vascular injuries allows to achieve full rehabilitation of the victims and, along with a reduction in disability, significantly improves the quality of life of patients.
Keywords: Neurovascular bundle, combined injury of the upper extremities, autovenous plasty, autonervous plasty, epineural suture.
- Salimov DR, Ignatyev IM, Nasunov SYu. Podmyshechno-plechevoe shuntirovanie autovenoy “in situ” pri ostroy ishemii verkhney konechnosti [Axillar-brachial shunting using autovein “in situ” in acute ischemia of upper extremity]. Angiologiya i sosudistaya khirurgiya. 2012;18(3):128-30.
- Artykov KP, Abdulloev ZR, Malikov MKh, Tadzhibaev KhS. Posttravmaticheskie osobennosti narusheniya krovoobrashcheniya pal’tsev i kisti [Posttraumatic features of blood circulation in fingers and hand]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2013;1:15-22.
- Makarova NP, Ermolaev VL, Kozlova MA, Khmelniker SM, Lobut OA, Shusharina VV. Povrezhdeniya magistral’nykh krovenosnykh sosudov. Evolyutsiya neotlozhnoy pomoshchi na Srednem Urale [Injuries of magistral vessels. Evolution of urgent angiotraumatic aid in North Ural]. Vestnik Ural‘skoy meditsinskoy akademicheskoy nauki. 2010;3:73-8.
- Feliciano DV, Moore FA, Moore EE, West MA, Davis JW, Cocanour CS, et al. Evaluation and management of peripheral vascular injury. The Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection and Critical Care. 2011;70(6):1551-6.
- Faisal MS, Muhammad SD, Ahmed A. An immediate exploration of penetrating upper extremity injury for unexpected vascular trauma: a case of limb salvage. Pak J Surg. 2015;30(1):80-2.
- Gaibov AD, Belov YuV, Sultanov DD, Kalmykov EL. Ognestrel’nye raneniya sosudov [Gunshot injuries of vessels]. Dushanbe, RT; 2015. 130 p.
- Nwafor A, Eze JC, Ezemba N, Onyekwulu FA, Ngene CI, Chinawa JM. The pattern and outcome of civilian vascular in a teaching hospital over a 7-year period. World Journal of Cardiovascular Diseases. 2016;4:44-53.
- Corneille MG, Gallup TM, Villa C, Richa JM, Wolf SE, Myers JG, et al. Pediatric vascular injuries: acute management and early outcomes. The Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection, and Critical Care. 2011;70(4):823-8.
- Mishwani AH, Ghaffar A, Janjua S. Combat related vascular trauma. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan. 2012;22(4):213-7.
- Zugurov AKh, Sultanov DD, Gulin AV, Tukhtaev FM, Soliev OF, Dzhaborov KhA. Oshibki diagnostiki i taktika lecheniya ostroy arterial’noy neprokhodimosti verkhney konechnosti (obzor literatury) [Mistakes in diagnostics a management of acute arterial impassability of upper extremity (literature review)]. Vestnik TGU. 2017;22(6):1629-36.
- Vasilchenko EM, Zoloev GK. Pokazateli vyzhivaemosti patsientov s zabolevaniyami perifericheskikh arteriy nediabeticheskogo geneza posle amputatsii nizhney konechnosti. Populyatsionnoe issledovanie [Survival indicators for patients with non-diabetic lesion of peripheral arteries after lower limb amputation. Population research]. Аnnaly khirurgii. 2012;3:48-53.
- Gubka VA, Konovalenko IA, Suzdalenko AV. Rezul’taty lecheniya bol’nykh s ostroy arterial’noy ishemiey [Outcomes of treatment patients with acute arterial ischemia of extremities]. Patologiya. 2015;2:55-8.
- Ibodov ST, Abduazizov AA, Ali-zade SG. Optimisatsiya vosstanovitel’nogo lecheniya pri travmakh oporno-dvigatel’nogo apparata v usloviyakh polikliniki [Optimisation of recovering therapy in trauma of musculo-skeletal system in out-patient]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2017;19(1):85- 9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.25005/2074-0581-2017-19-1-85-89.
- Sah B, Shrestha KG, Tiwari KK, Reddy J. Analysis of consecutive cases of vascular injury in tertiary level hospital in Central Nepal. Journal of College of Medical Sciences-Nepal. 2017;13(3): 357-62. Available from: http://dx.doi. org/10.3126/jcmsn.v13i3.17857.
- Malikov MKh, Karim-zade GD. Rekonstruktivno-vosstanovitel’nye operatsii na verkhney konechnosti pri tyazhyolykh posledstviyakh travm [Reconstructiverecovering operations on upper extremity in severe consequences]. Vestnik Akademii meditsinskikh nauk Tadzhikistana. 2015;2:30-42.
- Ekim H, Tuncer M. Management of traumatic brachial artery injuries: A report on 49 patients. Ann Saudi Med. 2009;29(2):105-9
- Chernyavskiy АМ, Okuneva GN, Alsof SA, Bulateskaya LM. Otsenka mikrotsirkulyatsii verkhnikh konechnostey metodom dopplerovskoy floumetrii do i v otdalyonnye sroki posle vydeleniya luchevoy arterii [Estimation of upper extremities’ microcirculation by Doppler flowmetry in early and follow up after radial artery separation]. Angiologiya i sosudistaya khirurgiya. 2004:10(1):63-9.
Malikov Mirzobadal Khalifaevich, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
Karim-zade Gulandom Dzhangovarovna, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Assistant of the Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
Davlatov Abdumalik Abdulkhakovich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Reconstructive and Plastic Microsurgery of the Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery
Ibragimov Erkindzhon Karimdzhonovich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Assistant of the Department of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
Kamolov Amrullo Nazrievich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Assistant of the Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
Makhmadkulova Nigora Akhtamovna, Assistant of the Department of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
Khayrulloi Narzillo, Postgraduate Student of the Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery
Mirzobekov Khurshed Fayzmamadovich, Postgraduate Student, Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
Address for correspondence:
Karim-zade Gulandom Dzhangovarovna
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Assistant of the Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
734003, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Rudaki Ave., 139
Tel.: +992 (918) 808766