MODERN APPROACH TO THE DIAGNOSTIC AND SURGICAL TREATMENT OF THE NASAL SEPTUM CURVATURE
1Khatlon State Medical University, Dangara, Republic of Tajikistan
2Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
3Department of Reconstructive and Plastic Microsurgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Objective: Improving the results of septo- and rhinoplasty
Methods: The results of surgical treatment of 267 patients with the curvature of the nasal septum without or in combination with the deformation of the external nose are analyzed. The average age of patients was 22.4 years. All variety of forms of curvature of the nasal septum was systematized and conditionally distributed according to the classification of R. Mladina. Isolated curvature of the quadrangular cartilage was found only in 7 cases (2.6%). To determine the type of deformation of the external nose was used Yong Jo Jang’s classification. Septo- and septorhinoplasty in 250 cases (93.6%) was performed by open access. In general, septoplasty combined with rhinoplasty was performed in the majority of cases (n=242, 90.6%). Septoplasty is an isolated form was carried out only in 25 (9.4%) patients.
Results: Good and satisfactory long-term results were noted in 265 (99.2%) cases. An unsatisfactory result occurred in two (0.8%) patients who had a residual deformity of the external nose and deformation of the nasal septum. Various complications after septo- and septorhinoplasty were recorded in 11 (4.1%) cases
Conclusions: In most cases (79.4%), the curvature of the nasal septum is combined with the deformation of the external nose of various forms and severity, therefore, the elimination of the curvature of the nasal septum and correction of deformation of the external nose is advisable to perform simultaneously. Preference in performing septorhinoplasty should be given open access, which contributes to a more adequate and correct intervention
Keywords: The curvature of the nasal septum, deformity of the external nose, computed tomography, septorhinoplasty, open rhinoplasty.
- Daykhes NO, Lipskiy KB, Sidorenkov DA, Aganesov GA, Pimanchev PV, Strelkova NK. Vosstanovlenie oporosposobnosti nosovoy peregorodki pri vtorichnoy rinoplastike [Restoration of nasal septum support in secondary rhinoplasty]. Meditsinskiy sovet. 2015;15:92-6
- Rehman A, Hamid S, Ahmad M, Rashid AF. A prospective study of nasal septal deformities in Kashmiri population attending a tertiary care hospital. International Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery. 2012;1:77- 84. Avaliable from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ijohns.2012.13016.
- Makhmudnazarov MI, Tuydiev ShSh. Sovremennye metody khirurgicheskogo lecheniya deformatsiy nosovoy peregorodki [Modern methods of surgical treatment of nasal septum deformations]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2012;4:56-61.
- Bhattacharyya NN. Ambulatory sinus and nasal surgery in the United States: demographics and perioperative outcomes. The Laryngoscope. 2010;120(3):635-8. Avaliable from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lary.20777.
- Teul I, Zbislawski WW, Baran SS, Czerwinski F. Deformation of the nasal septum in children, adolescents, and adults in Western Pomerania Province of Poland. Eur J Med Res. 2009;14(4):244-7.
- Delaney SW. Evolution of the septoplasty: Maximizing functional and aesthetic outcomes in nasal surgery. Mathews Journal of Otolaryngology. 2018;1:1-9.
- Zavadskiy AV, Zavadskaya EA. Ob ob»yome operativnogo lecheniya pri iskrivlenii peregorodki nosa i soputstvuyushchey patologii [About volume of operative treatment on deviation of nasal septum and associated pathology]. Tavricheskiy mediko-biologicheskiy vestnik. 2009;12:131-3.
- Sam A, Deshmukh PT, Patil C, Jain S, Patil R. Nasal septal deviation and external nasal deformity: a correlative study of 100 cases. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. 2012;64(4):312-8.
- Ikromov MK, Kholmatov DI, Makhmudnazarov MI. Esteticheskie i funktsional’nye aspekty rinoseptoplastiki pri razlichnykh patologiyakh nosa [Aesthetic and functional aspects of rhinoseptoplasty in various nasal pathologies]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2011;2:29-35.
- Kurbanov UA, Davlatov AA, Odinaeva MS, Dzhanobilova SM. Rinoplastika pri posttravmaticheskikh deformatsiyakh nosa [Rhinoplasty in posttraumatic deformities of the nose]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2008;2:13-22.
- Mladina R. A morphometric consideration of nasal septal deviations by people with paranasal complaints. A computed tomography study. Rhinology. 2003;41(4):255.
- Lin JK, Wheatley FC, Handwerker J, Harris NJ, Wong BJ. Analyzing nasal septal deviations to develop a new classification system: a computed tomography study using MATLAB and OsiriX. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery. 2014;16(3):183- 7. Avaliable from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jamafacial.2013.2480.
- Jang YJ, Wang JH, Lee BJ. Classification of the deviated nose and its treatment. Archives of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery. 2018;134(3):311-5.
- Kurbanov UA, Davlatov AA, Dzhanobilova SM, Kholov ShI, Kurbanov ZA. Reduktsionnaya rinoplastika [Reduction rhinoplasty]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2016;4:29-33.
- Alotaibi AD. The common complications after septoplasty and septorhinoplasty: A report in a series of 127 cases. International Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery. 2017;6:71-8. Avaliable from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ijohns.2017.66010.
- Roozbahany AN, Khajavi M, Abbaszadeh H. Complication of conventional septoplasty. Journal of Hear Sci Otolaryngol. 2015;1(1):1-4. Avaliable from: http://dx.doi.org/10.22037/orlfps.v1i1.9419.
Kurbanov Ubaydullo Abduloevich
, Corresponding Member AMS of the Republic of Tajikistan, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Rector of Khatlon State Medical University ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5546-7180, Researcher ID: E-1476-2019
Makhmudov Ibodullo Khamidovich
, Competitor of the Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University ORCID ID: 0000-0002-2872-9261, Researcher ID: E-1470-2019
Dzhanobilova Sitora Murodilloevna
, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Surgeon of the Department of Reconstructive and Plastic Microsurgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9458-1798, Researcher ID: E-1438-201
Kholov Sharafdzhon Iskhokdzhonovich
, Surgeon of the Department of Reconstructive and Plastic Microsurgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery ORCID ID: 0000-0003-1437-7979, Researcher ID: E-1387-2019
Dadodzhonov Zhakhongir Yuldoshmatovich
, Assistant, Department of Surgical Disciplines, Khatlon State Medical University ORCID ID: 0000-0002-9094-1386, Researcher ID: E-1461-201
Address for correspondence:
Makhmudov Ibodullo Khamidovich
Competitor of the Department of Surgical Diseases № 2, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
734003, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Rudaki Ave., 139
Tel.: +992 (907) 901585
Materials on the topic:
- EXPERIENCE OF THE USE OF VARIOUS METHODS OF SURGICAL TREATMENT OF THE CHEILOSCHISIS AND PALATE
- OPTIMIZATION OF SURGICAL TREATMENT OF POST-BURNING TIGHTENING SCARS OF FRONT SURFACE OF THE NECK AND THE CHEST
- SURGICAL TACTICS IN DISTAL LESIONS OF NERVE TRUNKS OF THE UPPER LIMBS
- SURGICAL TREATMENT OF POST-BURN SCARS OF NECK AND CHEST