THE ROLE OF ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF LIVER FAILURE IN OBSTRUCTIVE JAUNDICE OF BENIGN ORIGIN
1Department of General Surgery № 1, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
2Department of Surgical Diseases № 1, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
3Department of Epidemiology, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Objective: To study the role of endothelial dysfunction in the pathogenesis of liver failure (LF) in obstructive jaundice of benign origin (OJBO).
Methods: The study was based on the analysis of the results of a clinical examination of 68 patients with varying degrees of OJBO severity. For the determination of the severity of OJBO the classification proposed by Galperin EI (2012) was used. The class A severity was noted in 28 (43.7%) patients, class B – in 20 (36.5%) patients. The class C was determined in 20 (19.8%) patients which developed sepsis, encephalopathy, mono- or multiple organ failure. To assess endothelial dysfunction and its significance in the pathogenesis of OJBO and LF, the levels of markers of endothelial dysfunction in blood were assessed in patients with OJBO at various degrees of its severity.
Results: The progression of OJBO, especially in patients with class B and C, contributed to a more pronounced changes of the level of markers of endothelial dysfunction and endotoxemia, leading to the development of LF. Thus, the increase in the level of mid-molecules (MM) in patients with OJBO complicated by LF reached 0.973±0.68 units, while with cholangitis added it comprised 0.1274±0.7 units; conjugated dienes (DC) levels were 1.58±0.17 mmol/ml of serum and 1.97±0.10 mmol/ml of serum; malondialdehyde (MDA) – 3.9±0.12 nmol/ml of serum and 4.8±0.16 nmol/ml of serum; the level of nitric oxide (NO) decreased up to 19.2±1.3 μmol/l and 16.4±1.4 μmol/l and the level of thrombomodulin – up to 78.6±5.4 pg/ml and 53.4±4.3 pg/ml, respectively. There was a significant increase in the indices of circulating desquamated endotheliocytes (CDE) up to 8.4±0.1 %/100 μl and 13.9±1.2 %/100 μl; and the level of endothelin-1 reached 1.2±0.07 fmol/ml and 1.4±0.05 fmol/ml, respectively, which was caused by the activation of free radicals. In addition, there was an increase in the diameter of the portal vein (1.02±0.03 cm and 1.921±0.02 cm), as well as linear (19.8±1.3 cm/ sec and 25.1±1.4 cm/sec) and volumetric (1321±124 ml/min and 1647±140 ml/min) blood flow velocities.
Conclusion: With the progression of the OJBO (class B and C), significant and pronounced changes were found in the indicators of oxidative endotoxemia, hypoxia and cytokine profile, as well as marked circulatory disorders in the liver, directly correlating with the severity of endothelial dysfunction, which is the leading mechanism for the LF development.
Keywords: Obstructive jaundice, cholestasis, cholemia, cholangitis, endothelial dysfunction, liver failure.
- Styazhkina SN, Gadelshina AA, Voronchikhina EM. Mekhanicheskaya zheltukha – osnovnoe oslozhnenie gepatopankreatobiliarnoy sistemy [Obstructive jaundice is the main complication of the hepatopancreatobiliary system]. Vestnik nauki i obrazovaniya. 2017;5:103-5.
- Kurbonov KM, Nazirboev KR, Saidov RKh, Sultonov BD. Khirurgicheskaya taktika pri ostrom kholetsistite, oslozhnyonnom kholedokholitiazom i mekhanicheskoy zheltukhoy [Surgical tactics in acute cholecystitis complicated by choledocholithiasis and obstructive jaundice]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2017;3:344-8.
- Kamath SU, Dharap SB, Kumar V. Scoring system to preoperatively predict choledocholithiasis. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2016;35(3):173-8.
- Gulov MK, Ruziboyzoda KR. Prichiny, diagnostika i lechenie posleoperatsionnoy mekhanicheskoy zheltukhi [Causes, diagnosis and treatment of postoperative obstructive jaundice]. Rossiyskiy mediko-biologicheskiy vestnik imeni akademika I.P. Pavlova. 2021;29(2):257-66.
- Cai JS, Qiang S, Bao-Bing Y. Advances of recurrent risk factors and management of choledocholithiasis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2017;52(1):34-43.
- Xu C, Lv P-H, Huang X-E. Internal-external percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage for patients with malignant obstructive jaundice. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2014;15:9391-4.
- Gadzhiev DN, Tagiev EG, Gadzhiev ND. Sostoyanie tsitokinovogo statusa u bol'nykh s mekhanicheskoy zheltukhoy dobrokachestvennogo geneza [State of cytokine status in patients with obstructive jaundice of benign genesis]. Khirurgiya. 2015;5:56-8.
- Kurbonov KM, Nazirboev KR. Otsenka immunnogo statusa i immunnokorrektsiya pri dobrokachestvennoy mekhanicheskoy zheltukhe [Evaluation of the immune status and immunocorrection in benign obstructive jaundice]. Vestnik poslediplomnogo obrazovaniya v sfere zdravookhraneniya. 2018;1:15-20.
- Datsenko BM, Borisenko VB. Mekhanicheskaya zheltukha, ostryy kholangit, biliarnyy sepsis: ikh patogeneticheskaya vzaimosvyaz' i printsipy differentsial'noy diagnostiki [Obstructive jaundice, acute cholangitis, biliary sepsis: Their pathogenetic relationship and principles of differential diagnosis]. Novosti khirurgii. 2013;21(5):31-9.
- Kurbonov KM, Nazirboev KR. Endotoksikoz i pokazateli urovnya tsitokinov u patsientov s mekhanicheskoy zheltukhoy neopukholevogo geneza [Endotoxicosis and cytokine levels in patients with obstructive jaundice of non-tumor origin]. Novosti khirurgii. 2017;25(4):359-64.
- Pavlidis ET, Pavlidis TE. Pathophysiological consequences of obstructive jaundice and perioperative management. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2018;17(1):17- 21. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hbpd.2018.01.008
- Mukhiddinov ND, Salikhov NN, Rabiev KhS, Kurbonov NG. Miniinvazivnye metody diagnostiki i khirurgicheskoe lechenie zhyolchnokamennoy bolezni, oslozhnyonnoy kholedokholitiazom i mekhanicheskoy zheltukhoy [Mini-invasive diagnostic methods and surgical treatment of gallstone disease, complicated by choledocholithiasis and obstructive jaundice]. Vestnik Akademii meditsinskikh nauk Tadzhikistana. 2019;9(3):278-84.
- Nurbabaev AU, Abidov UO. Kompleksnoe lechenie bol'nykh s sindromom mekhanicheskoy zheltukhi [Complex treatment of patients with mechanical jaundice syndrome]. Biologiya i integrativnaya meditsina. 2020;6:96-102.
- Popov AV, Ganeeva ER, Ershova AI. Izmeneniya tsentral'noy i pechenochnoy gemodinamiki v posleoperatsionnom periode u bol'nykh kholelitiazom v zavisimosti ot funktsional'nogo sostoyaniya pecheni [Changes in central and hepatic hemodynamics in the postoperative period in patients with cholelithiasis depending on the functional state of the liver]. Meditsinskiy al'manakh. 2013;5:105-7.
- Galperin EI. Klassifikatsiya tyazhesti mekhanicheskoy zheltukhi [Classification of the severity of obstructive jaundice]. Annaly khirurgicheskoy gepatologii. 2012;2:26-34.
- Magomedov MM, Imanaliev MR, Magomedov KhM. Osobennosti sistemy gemostaza i markyory sistemnoy vospalitel'noy reaktsii u patsientov pri mekhanicheskoy zheltukhe, oslozhnyonnoy pechyonochnoy nedostatochnost'yu [Features of the hemostasis system and markers of systemic inflammatory response in patients with obstructive jaundice complicated by liver failure]. Zhurnal nauchnykh statey zdorov'e i obrazovanie v XXI veke. 2018;20(6):59-63.
- Gayurov UKh, Kurbonov KM, Makhmadov FI, Nazirboev KR. Patogenez i lechenie disfunktsii endoteliya pri gnoynom kholangite [Pathogenesis and treatment of endothelial dysfunction in purulent cholangitis]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2014;4:38-44.
- Borisenko VB. Sostoyanie lipidnogo obmena u bol'nykh mekhanicheskoy zheltukhoy, ostrym kholangitom i biliarnym sepsisom [The state of lipid metabolism in patients with obstructive jaundice, acute cholangitis and biliary sepsis]. Svit meditsini ta biologii. 2015;1:13-7.
Gulov Makhmadshokh Kurbonalievich
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Professor of the Department of General Surgery № 1, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
Researcher ID: D-7916-2018
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-5151-937X
Author ID: 305733
Ruziboyzoda Kakhramon Ruziboy
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Surgical Diseases № 1, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-8381-0364
Author ID: 1005844
Abdullozoda Said Murtazo
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Applicant of the Department of Epidemiology, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-0058-7633
Author ID: 991827
Safarov Bekhruz Izatulloevich
Applicant for the Department of General Surgery № 1, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-6647-2498
Information about support in the form of grants, equipment, medications
The author did not receive financial support from manufacturers of medicines and medical equipment
Conflicts of interest: No conflict
Address for correspondence:
Murodov Akbar Ismatulloevich
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Deputy Director for Clinical Affairs, Republican Scientific Oncology Center
734026, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Somoni Ave., 59a
Tel.: +992 (909) 202074
Materials on the topic:
- SURGICAL WOUND SUPPURATIVE COMPLICATIONS AFTER TENSION-FREE HERNIOPLASTY
- SURGICAL TREATMENT OF INGUINAL HERNIA COMBINED WITH CRYPTORCHIDISM
- CLINICAL AND MORPHOLOGICAL EVIDENCE OF THE EFFECTIVENESS OF HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (PERHYDROL) APPLICATION FOR THE RECURRENCE PREVENTION AFTER HYDATID CYSTECTOMY FOR HEPATIC ECHINOCOCCOSIS
- CLINICAL AND DEMOGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTICS OF PATIENTS WITH UNCOMPLICATED LIVER ECHINOCOCCOSIS
- SURGICAL TREATMENT STRATEGIES FOR GIANT ANTERIOR ABDOMINAL WALL HERNIAS
- OUR EXPERIENCE OF 4360 LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY FOR CHOLELITHIASIS
- RESULTS OF THE USE OF MINIMALLY INVASIVE TECHNOLOGIES IN THE SURGICAL TREATMENT OF HEPATIC ECHINOCOCCOSIS AND ITS COMPLICATIONS
- ROLE OF MONOCYTES IN PATHOGENESIS OF GENERALIZED PERITONITIS
- SOME ASPECTS OF PATHOGENESIS OF THE VENTRAL HERNIAS
- COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE RESULTS OF COMPLEX OPERATIVE-MEDICAL TREATMENT OF PATIENTS WITH COMPLICATED FORMS OF THE DIABETIC FOOT SYNDROME