THE CASE OF SUCCESSFUL SURGICAL TREATMENT OF INTRAUTERINE DEVICE MIGRATED INTO THE PELVIC CAVITY
1Public Institution «Republican Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery», Dushanbe, Tajikistan
2City Maternity Hospital №2 of the Health Department, Dushanbe, Tajikistan
The article presents the results of timely diagnosis and successful surgical treatment of the patient with intrauterine device (IUD) migrated into the pelvic cavity. The period of IUD implantation lasted 10 days. Hospital visit was caused by increasing of the pain intensity in small pelvis and the appearance of dysuric phenomena. Ultrasound investigation detected that the migration of the intrauterine device occurred through the left fallopian tube. The end of the intrauterine device thread was located in the lumen of the left fallopian tube. Ultrasound signs of the IUD were manifested by hyperechoic and relatively long structure with the acoustic shadows. The IUD was not detected in the uterine cavity during gynecological examination. For more accurate topical diagnosis of the migrated IUD the patient underwent radiography of the abdominal cavity and small pelvis and the dislocation of the IUD was confirmed. The surgery of the patient was performed through laparoscopic approach. The intraoperative complications were not detected. The surgery lasted for 35 minutes. The drainage tube was removed on the second postoperative day. Antibiotics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and spasmolytics were prescribed to the patient postoperatively. The length of hospital stay was 4 days. Follow-up period in one and three months determined a lack of any complaints in the patient.
Keywords: Intrauterine device, , contraception, migration, perforation.
- United Nations, World Contraceptive Use 2007, United Nations, Population Division, Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs. New York, NY, USA. 2008.
- Adiyeke M, Sanci M, Karaca İ, Gökçü M, Töz E, Öcal E. Surgical management of intrauterine devices migrated towards intra-abdominal structures: 20-year experience of a tertiary center. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2015;XLII (3):358-60. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.12891/ceog1840.2015.
- Kimberly AK, Dina J. Perforated intraperitoneal intrauterine contraceptive devices: diagnosis, management, and clinical outcomes. Chamsy Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2014;21:596-601.
- Arslan A, Kanat-Pektas M, Yesilyurt H, Bilge U. Colon penetration by a copper intrauterine device: a case report with literature review. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2009; 279(3):395-7.
- Ertopcu K, Nayki C, Ulug P. Surgical removal of intra-abdominal intrauterine devices at one center in a 20-year period. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2015;128(1): 10-3. Available from: http://dx.doi/10.1016/j.ijgo.2014.07.025.
- Soydinc HE, Evsen Ms, Caça F, Sak ME, Taner MZ, Sak S. Translocated intrauter ine contraceptive device: experiences of two medical centers with risk factors and the need for surgical treatment. J Reprod Med. 2013; 58(5-6):234-40.
- Rakhmonov DA, Rashidov FSh, Kalmykov EL, Marizoeva MM, Bobodjonova OB, Bokiev FB, Amonov ShSh, Sadriev ON. Migratsiya vnutrimatochnoy spirali v svobodnuyu bryushnuyu polost’ (obzor literatury) [Migration of intrauterine device into free abdominal cavity (literature review)]. Rossiyskiy mediko-biologicheskiy vestnik imeni akademika I.P. Pavlova [I.P. Pavlov Russian Medical Biological Herald]. 2017;25(2):247-62. Available from: http://dx.doi/10.23888/ PAVLOVJ20172247-262
- Olimova OT, Rafieva ZH, Muradova ZM, Shukurova ZT. Preemlemost’ i pobochnye effekty razlichnykh metodov kontratseptsii u zhenshchin s sakharnym diabetom [Eligibility and side effects of various contraceptive methods in women with diabetes]. Avicenna Bulletin (Vestnik Avitsenny). 2012;4(53):85-9.
- Cetinkaya K, Kumtepe Y, Ingec M. Minimally invasive approach to cases of lost intra-uterine device: a 7-year experience. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011;159(1):119-21. Available from: http://dx.doi/ 10.1016/ j.ejogrb.2011.07.003.
- Le A, Shan L, Xiao T, Zhuo R, Wang Z. Removal of an incarcerated intrauter ine device in the sigmoid colon under the assistance of hysteroscope and laparoscope: a case report. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 42(4):531-4.
- Madden A, Aslam A, Nusrat NB. A Case of Migrating «Saf-T-Coil» Presenting With a Vesicovaginal Fistula and Vesicovaginal Calculus. Urol Case Rep. 2016;23(7):17-9. Available from: http://dx.doi/10.1016/j.eucr.2016.03.014. eCollection 2016.
Nematzoda Okildjon, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Leading Researcher at Republican Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Tajikistan
Marizoeva Mahina Mahmadulloevna, obstetrician-gynecologist at City Maternity Hospital № 2 of the Health Department, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Rahmonov Djamahon Ahmedovich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, surgeon at Department of Endosurgery at Republican Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Tajikistan
Amonov Shuhrat Shodievich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, surgeon at Department of Endosurgery at Republican Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Tajikistan
Bokiev Fathullo Bahshulloevich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of Department of Endosurgery at Republican Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Tajikistan
Ismatova Umiya Subhonovna, obstetrician-gynecologist at City Maternity Hospital № 2 of the Health Department, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Address for correspondence:
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Leading Researcher at Republican Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Tajikistan
734003, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Sanoi Street 33
Tel.: (+992) 915 250055
Materials on the topic:
- CASE OF CONTACT ALLERGIC DERMATITIS INDUCED BY BLACK SEED OIL
- THE FIRST EXPERIENCE OF USING SILICONE IMPLANTS IN THE AUGMENTATION GLUTEOPLASTY IN TAJIKISTAN
- OBSTRUCTIVE ILEOSTOMY IN TREATMENT OF COMPLEX LARGE INTESTINE FISTULA
- A CASE OF SUCCESSFUL SURGICAL TREATMENT OF ACUTE COMMISSURAL INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTION BY USING MINIMALLY INVASIVE TECHNOLOGY
- RARE CASE OF INFERIOR GLUTEAL ARTERY FALSE ANEURYSM FORMATION
- VARIANTS OF TOPOGRAPHY OF VESSELS OF THE TRIGONUM FEMORALE SCARPAE ZONE
- THE CASE OF SUCCESSFUL RENAL REVASCULARIZATION BY THE METHOD OF AORTORENAL SHUNTING