MICRONUCLEAR TEST OF THE BUCCAL EPITHELIUM AS THE SCREENING METHOD IN ONCOLOGY
1Department of Physiology, I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation
2Department of Physiology, N.N. Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University, Voronezh, Russian Federation
3Department of Oncology, Radiation Therapy and Radiation Diagnostics, N.N. Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University, Voronezh, Russian Federation
4Oncology Department № 6, Voronezh Regional Clinical Oncology Dispensary, Voronezh, Russian Federation
Objective: Assessment of dependence the number of nuclear anomalies of the buccal epithelium from the localization of malignant neoplasms; evaluation of the effectiveness of the use of the micronuclear test of buccal epithelium as a screening test for malignant neoplasms on the I, II stages.
Methods: Two groups of patients in the oncological clinic for malignant neoplasms treated as test subjects: 10 patients from the Department of Head and Neck Pathology; 10 patients from the Gynecology Oncology Department. The control group consisted of 10 people without malignant neoplasms. Collection of materials, making preparations and colouring them with Azur-eosin by Romanovsky-Giemsa was carried out according to a standard method. The frequency of occurrence of cells with each type of nuclear anomalies was counted.
Results: It was revealed that the number of nuclear anomalies of patients in the Department of Head and Neck Pathology and Gynecology Oncology Department patients significantly exceeded the control group indicators of the test subjects. This proves the possibility of using a micronuclear test of buccal epithelium for screening in oncology. In addition, the sum of all nuclear aberrations in patients of Gynecology Oncology Department has significantly exceeded this index in patients with head and neck pathology. Thus, it was revealed the inverse correlation between the number of nuclear anomalies in the buccal epithelium and the localization of the pathological process in the immediate vicinity of the buccal epithelium. It is connected probably due to the provoking factors of malignant neoplasms actions, which in the different measure is reflected on structures of the organism and buccal epithelium, in particular.
Conclusions: Studies have shown the possibility of using the micronuclear test of buccal epithelium as a screening in oncology. Between the number of nuclear anomalies of buccal epithelium and the proximity of the location of the pathological process was revealed the inverse dependence. The technique is simple in use, non-invasive, and cheap. It can be a new method of early diagnosis of malignant neoplasms.
Keywords: Micronuclear test, buccal epithelium, oncology, screening.
- Protoshchak VV, Kukushkin AV, Babkin PA, Shelaev AYu, Kubin ND, Shpilenya ES, i dr. Vnutripuzyrnaya terapiya raka mochevogo puzyrya: sovremennoe sostoyanie problemy [Intravesical therapy of bladder cancer: current state of the problem]. Onkourologiya. 2011;3:136-44.
- Chissov VI, Davydov MI (red). Onkologiya: natsional'noe rukovodstvo. Moscow, RF:GEOTAR-Media; 2014. 1072 p
- Osnovy evropeyskoy politiki i strategiya XXI [The basics of European policy and strategy XXI]. VOZ. Zdorov'e 2020. 2013; 225 p.
- Ustinova EYu. Obosnovanie podkhodov k identifikatsii territoriy riska po onkologicheskoy situatsii [Justification of approaches to the identification of risk areas for cancer situation]. Vrach-aspirant. 2008;6:510-9.
- Lastochkina KS. K voprosu o zabolevaemosti zlokachestvennymi novoobrazovaniyami naseleniya Voronezhskoy oblasti [The question of the incidence of malignant neoplasms in population of the Voronezh region]. Vestnik Voronezhskogo instituta vysokikh tekhnologiy. 2017;22(3):94-7.
- Volkov NM. Vazhneyshie sobytiya v onkologii v 2011 g.: profilaktika i rannyaya diagnostika zlokachestvennykh opukholey [The most important events in Oncology in 2011: prevention and early diagnosis of malignant tumors]. Prakticheskaya onkologiya. 2012;13(1):55-60.
- Imyatitov EN. Molekulyarnaya diagnostika v onkologii [Molecular diagnostics in Oncology]. Molekulyarnaya biologiya. 2008;42(5):772-85.
- Meyler AV, Tolochko TA., Minina VI, Timofeeva AA. Vliyanie po-limorfizma genov reparatsii DNK na kariologicheskiy status kletok bukkal'nogo epiteliya cheloveka pri ekspozitsii radonom [The Influence of polymorphism of DNA repair genes on the karyological status of buccal epithelium cells of human exposure to radon]. Ekologicheskaya genetika. 2014;1:28-38.
- Talaybekova ST. Mikroyadernyy test – v kachestve skrininga v onkologii [Micronucleus test as screening in Oncology]. Vestnik KGMA im. I. K. Akhunbaeva. 2016;4:113-5.
- Ibraimkhan NK, Tursynov NI. Korrelyatsionnaya svyaz' mezhdu tsito-geneticheskoy nestabil'nost'yu i opukholyami golovnogo mozga [Correlation between cytogenetic instability and brain tumors]. Zdravookhranenie Kyrgyzstana. 2017;2:29-33.
- Arora SK, Dey P, Saikia UN. Micronucleus in atypical urothelial cells. Diagn Cytopathol. 2010;38(11):811.
- Kalaev VN, Artyukhov VG, Nechaeva MS. Chastota vstrechaemosti kletok s morfologicheski anomal'nymi yadrami v bukkal'nom epitelii cheloveka pri raznykh sposobakh okrashivaniya [Frequency of occur-rence of cells with morphologically abnormal nuclei in buccal epitheli-um of a person with different methods of staining]. Tsitologiya. 2012;54(1):78-84.
- Knyazeva MV, Prokopyuk AV. Sovremennye podkhody k diagnostike i lecheniyu raka yaichnikov [Modern approaches to the diagnosis and treatment of ovarian cancer]. Veles. 2016;6-2(36):74-8.
Bulgakova Yaroslava Viktorovna, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Physiology, I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University
Dorokhov Evgeniy Vladimirovich, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Physiology, Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko
Kosolapova Irina Vladimirovna, Student, Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko
Manukovskaya Olga Valerievna, Associate Professor of the Department of Oncology, Radiotherapy and Radiodiagnostics, Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko; Doctor of the Oncology Department № 6, Voronezh Regional Oncology Dispensary
Address for correspondence:
Dorokhov Evgeniy Vladimirovich
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Physiology, Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko
394090, Russian Federation, Voronezh, Rostovskaya str., 53, Apt. 34
Tel.: (+7) 910 2408246
Materials on the topic:
- INDICATORS OF ANTICOAGULATIVE ACTIVITY OF VASCULAR WALL DEPENDING ON STAGE OF BREAST CANCER
- EMERGENCY SURGERY TO ONCOLOGICAL PATIENTS
- PALLIATIVE-CURATIVE SURGICAL INTERVENTIONS IN GASTRIC CANCER PATIENTS WITH LIVER METASTASES
- CHANGE OF EPIDEMIOLOGICAL SITUATION OF COLORECTAL CANCER IN KAZAKHSTAN AFTER INTRODUCTION OF SCREENING
- PECULIARITIES OF DIAGNOSTICS AND COURSE OF UTERINE CERVICAL CANCER AMONG HIV-INFECTED WOMEN
- IMMUNITY SYSTEM AFTER EXTENDED SURGERIES IN PATIENTS WITH LOCALLY ADVANCED STOMACH CANCER