IMMUNITY SYSTEM AFTER EXTENDED SURGERIES IN PATIENTS WITH LOCALLY ADVANCED STOMACH CANCER
1Department of Oncology, South Ural State Medical University, Chelyabinsk, Russian Federation
2Tomsk Regional Oncology Center, Tomsk, Russian Federation
3Medical Centre Hospital of President’s Affairs Administration of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Astana, Republic of Kazakhstan
Objective: Examine the influence of splenectomy in patients with locally advanced stomach cancer (LASC) on the immune system and the frequency of postoperative infectious complications.
Methods: The system of immunity of 55 patients with LASC is studied before and after an extended gastrectomy with splenectomy. Cellular and humoral immunity were assessed. The immune component cells were determined by means of reactions an indirect rosette using monoclonal antibodies to form rosettes. The phenotype of immunocompetent cells was determined using monoclonal antibodies. To determine B-lymphocytes, erythrocytes coated with antibodies to CD19 antigens specific for B cells as well as HLA-DR antigens found on B-lymphocytes and activated T-cells were used; for natural killers – diagnostics with monoclonal antibody to CD16, as well as CD95 – the factor of apoptosis and CD HLAII. The functional state of the B-systems of immunity was evaluated by determining the serum immunoglobulins of the main classes IgG, IgA, IgM by the method of radial immune diffusion by Mancini.
Results: It was found that after gastrectomy with splenectomy, the statistically significant decrease in IgG concentration to 7.2±0.12 g/l and IgM to 0.6±0.02 g/l and increase in leukocyte-T-lymphocyte index to 23.0±0.54 units. Before and after the performed operation, significant differences were found in such indicators as CD4, CD16, CD19, CD4/CD8. When studying the parameters of apoptosis and the characteristics of expression of CD95 molecules on peripheral blood lymphocytes, no significant changes in the activation rates of peripheral blood lymphocytes were revealed. It is established that in the splenectomy group complications associated with impaired immune status develop. This was manifested by a tendency to frequent colds, detected in 41.2% of patients due to involvement of the lungs and bronchi in the pathological process, and 11.8% of the patients had a predisposition to pustular skin diseases.
Conclusions: Splenectomy leads to changes in both the humoral and cellular links of the immune status, as well as the nonspecific resistance of the organism of the patients with LASC. These changes in laboratory indicators are clinically manifested by the propensity to infectious diseases.
Keywords: Gastric cancer, gastrectomy, splenectomy, cellular immunity, humoral immunity.
- arannikov KV. Effektivnost’ endoskopicheskoy diagnostiki i metodov maloinvazivnoy khirurgii v lechenii raka zheludka na rannikh stadiyakh [Efficiency of endoscopic diagnostics and minimally invasive surgery in the treatment of gastric cancer in the early stages]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2013;2:28-32.
- Yoon SS, Yang HK. Lymphadenectomy for gastric adenocarcinoma: should west meet the east? Oncologist. 2009; 14(9):871-82. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2009-0070.
- Songun I, Putter H, Kranenbarg EM, Sasako M. Surgical treatment of gastric cancer: 15-year follow-up results of the randomised nationwide Dutch D1D2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11(5):439-49. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70070-X.
- apanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese gastric cancer treatment guidelines 2010 (ver.3). Gastric cancer. 2011;14:113-23.
- Kosuga T, Ichikawa D, Okamoto K, Komatsu S, Shiozaki A, Fujiwara H, et al. Survival benefits from splenic hilar lymph node dissection by splenectomy in gastric cancer patients: relative comparison of the bene-fits in subgroups of patients. Gastric cancer. 2011; 14(2):172-7. Availa-ble from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10120-011-0028-2. Epub 2011 Feb 18.
- Ena II, Shanazarov NA, Seydalin NK. Otsenka roli splenektomii pri khirurgicheskom lechenii raka zheludka: za ili protiv? [Assessment of the role of splenectomy in surgical treatment of stomach cancer: for or against?]. Vestnik Akademii meditsinskih nauk Tadzhikistana. 2015;3:44-9.
- Turkin IN, Davydov MM, Davydov MI. Vliyaet li splenektomiya pri rake zheludka na chastotu razvitiya pankreatogennykh oslozhneniy [Does splenectomy in patients with gastric cancer influence on frequency of pancreatic complications?]. Vestnik RONTs im. N.N. Blokhina RAMN. 2013;24(1):31-4.
- Mironov PV, Dvornichenko VV, Plyonkin SM, Kukarin VV, Golodnikov MA, Natalinov DI, i dr. Limfodissektsiya vorot selezyonki v khirurgicheskom lechenii raka zheludka [Lymphodissection of spleen hilux at the surgical treatment of stomach cancer]. Acta Biomedica Scientifica. 2010;5:89-92.
- Stilidi IS, Nered SN, Glukhov EV. Metodika splenosokhrannoy D2-limfoadenektomii v khirurgii raka zheludka [Spleen-preserving D2-lymphodissection in gastric cancer surgery]. Khirurgiya. 2015;1:41-3.
- Chernousov A, Khorobrykh T, Rogal M, Vychuzhanin D, Kharlov N. Vypolnenie gastrektomii i limfadenektomii s sokhraneniem selezyonki pri rake zheludka [Performance of gastrectomy and lymphadenectomy for gastric cancer with the spleen being preserved]. Vrach. 2011;10:3-6.
- Gantsev ShKh, Timerbulatov MV, Gantsev KSh, Menshikov KV. Obosnovanie splensokhrannykh operatsiy i replantatsii selezyonki pri khirurgicheskom lechenii raka zheludka [Validation of spleen-saving operations and spleen replantation in surgical treatment of stomach cancer]. Voprosy onkologii. 2008;54(6):760-4.
- Ena II, Shanazarov NA, Shakeev KT. Splenektomiya v khirurgicheskom lechenii raka zheludka (obzor literatury) [Splenectomy in surgical treat-ment of gastric cancer (the literature review)]. Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal prikladnykh i fundamental'nykh issledovaniy. 2015;10-3:475-9.
- Kolesnik OP, Kolesnik IP. Profilakticheskaya splenektomiya v khirurgii raka zheludka [Prophylactic splenectomy in gastric cancer surgery]. Khіrurgіya Ukraini. 2015;4:105-11.
- Akhmetzyanov FSh, Ruvinskiy DM, Akhmetzyanova FF, Kaulgud KhA. Splenektomiya v khirurgicheskom lechenii raka zheludka [Splenectomy in the surgical treatment of gastric cancer]. Povolzhskiy onkologicheskiy vestnik. 2014;2:9-26.
- Glukhov EV, Rokhoev GA, Mochalnikova VV, Stilidi IS. Metastaticheskoe porazhenie selezyonki pri rake zheludka [Splenic metastasis from gastric cancer]. Vestnik RONTs im. N. N. Blokhina RAMN. 2012;23(4):30-2.
- Krylov NN, Latifova LV. Analiz potentsial'nykh faktorov riska pankreatita posle operatsiy s limfadenektomiey po povodu raka zheludka [Acute postoperative pancreatitis after operations with lymphadenectomy for gastric cancer: analysis of potential risk factors]. Vestnik khirurgicheskoy gastroenterologii. 2010;2:39-47.
- Gulyaev AV, Grigorieva IM. Sovremennye vozmozhnosti khirurgicheskogo lecheniya retsidivnogo raka zheludka (obzor literatury) [Contemporary possibilities of surgical treatment of gastric cancer recurrence]. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Meditsina. 2010;3:119-26.
- Stilidi IS, Nered SN, Clukhov EV. Splenosokhrannaya D2-limfodissektsiya v khirurgii raka tela i proksimal'nogo otdela zheludka [Spleen-preserving D-2-lymphodissection in hysterocarcinoma and proximal stomach]. Annaly khirurgii. 2012;1:52-7.
- Makhovsky VV. Sostoyanie problemy i puti optimizatsii organo-sokhranyayushchey taktiki v khirurgii selezyonki [State of the problem and ways to optimize organ- preserving surgery tactics in spleen]. Voprosy rekonstruktivnoy i plasticheskoy khirurgii. 2014;17(3):42-55.
- Andreou A, Glanemann M, Guckelberger O, Denecke T, Grieser C, Po-drabsky P, et al. Distal pancreatectomy with splenectomy and en bloc resection of the celiac trunk for locally advanced cancer of the pancreatic body with infiltration of the celiac trunk. Med Klin (Munich). 2010; 105(4):227-31. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00063-010-1031-9.
- Lomtev NG, Yuldoshev RZ. Gipofizarno-nadpochechnikovye funktsii posle total'noy gastrektomii [Pituitary-adrenal activity after total gastrectomy]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2014;2:36-9.
Ena Igor Ivanovich, Postraduate Student of the Department of Oncology, South Ural State Medical University; Oncologist of Tomsk Regional Oncology Center
Akhetov Amir Amantaevich, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Director, Medical Centre Hospital of President’s Affairs Administration of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Shanazarov Nasrulla Abdullaevich, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Deputy Director for Science, Medical Centre Hospital of President’s Affairs Administration of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Seydalin Nazar Karimovich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Doctor oncologist-mammologist, Specialist of the Science Department, Hospital of the Medical Center of the Department of Affairs of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Address for correspondence:
Shanazarov Nasrulla Abdullaevich
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Deputy Director for Science, Medical Centre Hospital of President’s Affairs Administration of the Republic of Kazakhstan
010000, Republic of Kazakhstan, Astana, str. E495, № 2
Tel.: (+7) 717 2708082
Materials on the topic:
- INDICATORS OF ANTICOAGULATIVE ACTIVITY OF VASCULAR WALL DEPENDING ON STAGE OF BREAST CANCER
- EMERGENCY SURGERY TO ONCOLOGICAL PATIENTS
- PALLIATIVE-CURATIVE SURGICAL INTERVENTIONS IN GASTRIC CANCER PATIENTS WITH LIVER METASTASES
- CHANGE OF EPIDEMIOLOGICAL SITUATION OF COLORECTAL CANCER IN KAZAKHSTAN AFTER INTRODUCTION OF SCREENING
- PECULIARITIES OF DIAGNOSTICS AND COURSE OF UTERINE CERVICAL CANCER AMONG HIV-INFECTED WOMEN
- MICRONUCLEAR TEST OF THE BUCCAL EPITHELIUM AS THE SCREENING METHOD IN ONCOLOGY